Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Highland Dancing, Socks and More Highland Dancing!

Ok, I know it's been a while since I posted last. But life has been busy and I have been knitting!

Since my last post DD and I have been to the Embro Highland games on July 1st. DD competed in the Highland dancing and did very well. It was a very hot day. The bands were great and the dancing was wonderful. It was DD's first competition since November of last year. So we were pretty nervous about how she would make out. But all was well and the practicing paid off!

The winner of Who Fits These Socks was Alistair. His young male feet fit them perfectly! I will post a picture as soon as his mother can tie him down and take it!

I have been to my knitting meeting. We had a nice evening sitting laughing, knitting, talking, and eating. I find that if I can't make it to a meeting I really miss it! There is another one this Thursday evening. I can hardly wait!

I have been working every day and DH has been on 2 weeks holidays. So I have had lunch brought to me a few times. It was nice even though I haven't been home with him. I miss having time off with DH. Oh well I get to have 3 days with him in August and a week in September. I am very much looking forward to that time!

This past weekend DD, Della and her DD, and I went to the Cambridge Highland Games. We had a great day! the rain sort of held off. It drizzled a bit during the day but not too much. The dancing was late starting. We were to be there for 11 am and the organizers decided to do the Choreography competition before the regular competition. That caused the regualr dancing to start a bit late, at 2:30 instead of 11:30. We had a nice day in spite of the delay. The sun was out, the day was warm, the food was good and the company was excellent!. Both DD did well in the competitions. Overall it was a good day. Once we had packed everything up and finished loading the vehicle, the heaven's decided to open up and dump the rain. We were so grateful that it held off. There is nothing worse than having teenage girls dance in wet wool kilts and velvet vests!

In between all of the events going on, I have finished 2 pairs of socks, started another pair, frogged part of my Feather and Fan sweater and managed to get it back on track with it.

These are a pair of ankle socks that I knit using On Your Toes sock yarn. They are My FIRST 2 at a time toe up heel flap socks. I am happy with them and happy that I did them but I am STILL a fan of the 2 at a time top down version. They were knit for DD's friend. She is thrilled with them!


Here are Froggin ankle socks. They are from the Wool Girl Sock Club for the month of June. DD wanted them. She fell in love with the yarn when it arrived and told me I HAD to make them for her! The yarn is Dashing Dach's in the sport weight. The colourway is called Froggin. I like how they turned out. I have seen them in the laundry a few times now so I know they are liked!

I cast on another pair last week. I hate to be without a pair of socks on my needles. It's like the universe is wrong.

These are the Nine to Five socks. I am knitting them out of some yarn that I got a while ago from WoolGirl. It's Madelinetosh sock yarn in a fingering weight. The colourway is Umoja. 100% of the proceeds from this colorway will be donated to the Umoja Uaso Women's Group in Kenya.

The Umoja Uaso Women's Group in Kenya is an organization of indigenous Samburu women formed in 1990. This community advocates for and enables women's empowerment via HIV/Aids health education, children's education, political participation and community action.

I really liked the colours in it. and it was for a great cause. This yarn is so soft, it is almost sliky. It is a pleasure to knit with it. I would highly recommend this yarn for anyone who is looking to try something new. I am about to turn the heel on these. Hopefully I will be done in the next few days.

Happy Knitting!


No comments: